Your Hands Are the Most Active Part of Your Upper Body.
Keeping your hands healthy and functioning pain free is important. Unfortunately, hand and and wrist injuries are common and usually they occur in one of two ways:
Acute injuries such as sprains, strains or fractures, can happen from sports and recreational activities, falls, or even work-related injuries.
Overuse injuries happen with repetitive motion and continual stress on a joint or other tissue. These types of hand conditions include:
- Carpal Tunnel Syndrome – statistics show that over 250,000 Americans have carpal tunnel release procedures each year to correct the painful, sometimes debilitating condition known as carpal tunnel syndrome. Which is often caused from typing on a computer keyboard. It leads to tingling, numbness, weakness, or pain of the fingers and hand.
- Tendinosis – this condition is actually a series of very small tears (microtears) in the tissue in or around the tendon, Often characterized pain and tenderness, it can also affect movement and cause decreased strength.
- De Quervain’s Tenosynovitis is another overuse injury that can occur when the tendons on the side of the wrist are swollen and cause pain.
Treatment for a finger, hand, or wrist injury often includes anti-inflammatory medication, and may include a brace, splint, or cast and physical therapy. The type of treatment you may need often depends on several factors, such as the type of injury and how long ago it happened.
Advantage Orthopedic & Sports Medicine offers same-day appointments to assess your hand or wrist injury. We have imaging on-site and will get you in with an orthopedic specialist most often the same day you call.
Our Orthopedic Team Cares for Common Hand and Wrist Injuries
- Hand and wrist fractures
- Carpal tunnel treatment
- Ganglion cysts of the wrist
- Distal radius fracture
- Hand, wrist and thumb arthritis
- Wrist sprains
- De Quervain's Tenosynovitis
Advantage Orthopedic and Sports Medicine Team
Jeffreys Albright, M.D., FAAOS
Sports Medicine & Knee Replacement Specialist